Sunday, March 30, 2008

WHAT A WEEK!

It was a LONG, LONG week! I told the Music Teacher at Brandon's school that I would sub for her last Tuesday through Friday. I had 10-11 classes each day with 20-25 kids in each class. That is sooooo different from Special Ed and it is just not really my cup of tea to work with the "regular" population very often. The music part was fine for me to teach, but I don't like having to constantly raise my voice at the class to maintain a quiet and controlled environment.

Some of the kids today are just down right dispectful and I had to have the PE teacher come down because one boy was misbehaving and being disruptive. He was not listening and I placed him away from the other students. Well, this little first grader decided to physically GLUE himself to the cabinet. He would NOT let go and he just needed to be out of the room and in the office. I thought that maybe a male figure would help a little bit and even he had trouble. Finally with the help of the PE teacher and the child's teacher, the little booger was taken to the office for some time of "reflection". He later apologized for his behavior, too.

I am just not used to these behaviors in Special Ed. Seriously...I LOVE teaching and subbing in Special Ed. and I guess we all have our gifts. I went into teaching for Special Ed and now I know that is where I will stay. All but 2-3 of my classes were just fine and the teacher planned some great activities. We have the best music teachers in our district and my boys are so lucky to have these special women to teach them! It was fun playing the piano and singing, but I was on my feet the ENTIRE day and the behaviors of many of the kids are not what I want again any time soon. Plus...my house went to pot and Anna and I were both crabby!

So...THANK YOU to my hubby. I feel very blessed to be able to stay home with Anna, as I did with the boys, too. I will continue to sub a couple times a month. It gives Anna time away from me and keeps my name in the District. The school is always asking me to do more, but being at home is where I want to be. I usually get a call once a year asking me to take a position part-time in Special Ed., but this year they knew not to call. I always say "not until Anna is in kindergarten". I have told them that I might teach 1/2 time after Anna goes to kindergarten, so we'll see. One teacher would like to job share. I told her she could do 3/4 time and I do 1/4. HEE HEE.......

We are so lucky to have my mom to watch Anna when I sub and Barry's parents help out as much as they can. Plus...MY wonderful neighbor, Christine, watches Anna a ton and we swap kids when she subs, too. We are sooooo sad to see the neighbor's moving. WE LOVE THEM!

No comments: