Wednesday, July 08, 2009

An Apple for the Teacher


Last spring I was asked to fill a maternity leave position for 6-8 weeks this coming Fall and I said no. I really didn't want to work each day. Two days or three was what I had in mind. Well, now it is only 6 weeks and the last day would be Sept 25. This is in the Special Ed classroom that I have subbed in forever. My degree is in Special Ed, but I was used to more severe children, so an LD type class is a lot different. The last time I took a sub job in there for a "leave" I had 18-21 kids throughout the day and it was a little crazy keeping track of kids, schedules, etc. Right now there is only 4 on my roster and a few more could be staffed in. When I don't have students in the Special Ed room I will be testing kids from the regular rooms as part of this new RTI thing that they are doing. That stands for Response to Intervention. Basically that means that kids who were tested and did not meet the Special Ed criteria can now have help in their trouble areas.

This builing is now a Pre-K, Kindergarten and 1st grade building. The awesome part is that Anna is in this building. Definately a deciding factor.

I report to duty on August 17 and can still go to school with Anna on the 18th as part of her kindergarten orientation.

Just had to share this news.

No comments: