Thursday, January 10, 2008

LWB Blog

I religiously read the Love Without Boundries Blog. Many of you know the wonderful work they do to help the orphans in China and they helped facititate the crib project for Anna's orphanage before we met Anna. I love to read the blog and read about all of the kids that they have helped. It is such a wonderful organization and 100% of all monies raised goes to the orphans. There are no salaries to pay that I am aware of. Jill volunteered for them (Biehl family on the right..baby Max) and the list goes on and on with the wonderful things that they do to help others. I guess if I had a list of things I would love to do before I die, it would definately be to go to China and participate in one of the LWB trips. I would love to work in the orphanages for a week and simply hold the babies and toddlers who don't get the constant attention that they seek and need. China gave us the gift of Anna and I hope that we can give back to China in some small or large way. I guess I will start that list today. Next on my list is to go to Liberia. Our church has been assisting with funds for children to go to Liberia and our pastor went there in the fall. It sounds like some wonderful things are happening there, too. One small starfish in the sea at a time, right?

The following is a past post from Aug on their www.lwbchinablog.blogspot.com and can be found there at

www.http://lwbchinablog.blogspot.com/2007/08/realizations.html

I think that this speaks beautifully what many who care for children and love children who are not biologically their own feel...

Realizations....

There have been many moments in my life that I have had deep realizations of truth. I remember vividly the moment I realized that there was absolutely no difference between the love I felt for my biological kids and those who were adopted. My realization: that love has nothing to do with genetics but everything to do with your heart. What a wonderful truth to discover.

I remember just as well the moment I stood over a tiny baby’s crib in China and knew he needed heart surgery as quickly as possible and that I was one of the only people who knew that he did. My realization that day: that we can never allow our own fears of taking a risk and failing stop us from action. I was heart pounding scared to ask my friends to help him, but I learned the very real truth that we can accomplish amazing things when we step out in faith.

Not all truths bring joy, however. Some cause real sadness. But I believe all truths bring a clearer understanding of life. I have been struggling the last few months with the truth that my two youngest children lived as orphans. Of course I knew that….since that is the only way they can be in my family today. But recently, this truth has become much clearer to me, as recently I became a grandmother, and I have been able to see every day what a newborn baby wants and needs.

My grandson Asher is a total “tub of love”, and I would be happy holding him up to my cheek all day long if I could, just breathing in his babyness. We live to serve him, and to hear him cry even for a few minutes causes my heart pain. It seems like the second he makes noise, his mom moves into action. When he is hungry, he gets fed. When he is tired, he is rocked to sleep with a silk blankey and a lullaby. We spend hours gently talking to him, making eye contact, and letting him know that he is absolutely, 100% cherished.

In my great love for this child, however, I have had to face the deep realization of what my own two youngest children missed completely. My children never knew what it felt like to be an infant with a devoted mom. Even with the most loving of caregivers, I know my children knew hunger, knew loneliness, and knew bewilderment and frustration that their needs weren’t being met when they cried for help. They were orphans…in a room filled with babies and one lone woman trying to meet their most basic of needs. Of course I knew this somewhere inside of me because of my work, but the full knowledge of it didn't take root until the arrival of my grandson. This realization has caused me great pain, because I love my children so completely. How I wish no child had to be alone. Every baby deserves someone to come when they call.

I look at my grandson, who has never known a moment of pain since his birth, and give such thanks that he is with us. And I look at my own beautiful Chinese children and am amazed and awed by the strength they probably don’t even realize they have. They are such incredible kids, filled with joy and laughter and hope, even after living as orphans. My newfound truth is that children have an unbelievable capacity to trust us, even when adults have let them down in the past, and even when no one had time to come when they called. My latest realization is that all of our children who have faced a portion of their lives as babies without mothers, never being tenderly cradled or rocked to sleep with a song…..all of those children are heroes to me. Their ability to trust again humbles me, and the love they so purely give to us shows me every day the absolute strength of the human spirit.

Let us all keep working to help those who still wait. Truly, they deserve all we have to give.

Amy Eldridge

Executive Director, LWB

No comments: