Monday, June 15, 2015

I admit it! I love Western Toilets!!

Good afternoon from Beijing!! I wish I could say that I slept better, but I didn't. I even took Benedryl. The main issue was when Barry got a work call at 2:30 am. Of course it is not 2:30 am in the US. The alarm company for the Credit Union was calling and couldn't get anyone else to answer. Lol. The police officer even went to our house to find Barry. Needless to say, I couldn't sleep much after that. Maybe I will find sleep tonight. Lol. 

Today was an extra day that we purchased. About 80 other people went as well. I'm so glad we went, as the Temple of Heaven has always interested me. The official trip starts tomorrow. 

We left the hotel at 9am. We hopped on the bus with our guide, Eric. He talked the whole way to the Temple and taught us some Chinese words, things about the culture, etc. Pollution is present today somewhat. Or maybe it is just a cloudy day.  Not a  blue sky day at all. We have seen people with masks on occasionally the last couple of days, but today, as we are riding on the bus, more people have masks on to protect their lungs from the bad air.

Because the the number of people living in Beijing there are restrictions for driving a vehicle. Because today is Monday, if the last number on your license plate is a 1 or 6, you cannot drive. If you drive on wrong day you will get a ticket. Tomorrow numbers 2 and 7 cannot drive their cars. It is very busy on weekends because everyone can drive whenever they want. Eric said it is easier to just stay home. 

Beijing has a population of 22 million, with  6million cars on the roads in Beijing. Eric has 1-2 commute every day if he drives. Therefore is is easier to take public transportation. 

The Temple of Heaven was built in 1530 during the Ming Dynasty. This was place where the Chinese emperor went  to pray for a good harvest twice a year. We saw many couples in wedding attire getting pictures taken. I'm sharing the pictures off my camera because it is easier and faster than the laptop. Eventually I will share some of the wedding dresses. Very beautiful. We saw many people playing Chinese Hacky Sack, dancing in the park and excercising. All of this was done by people of various ages. Old to the young. We also saw a couple people with very interesting instruments. 

After the Temple we went to a silk factory and then lunch. Anna bought a beautiful silk dress today and another fan.

Lunch was delicious and was family style. They brought out way to much food. 

Anna has a new friend, Molly. She is from Colorado and is 12. She won't be in our group every day, but will be with us some. 

Anna decided to try the "squatty potty". I did not. I just don't see it working for me!! I prefer the good ole Western toilet!! 










No comments: