Wednesday, July 16, 2008

News from camp

Boy did I panic today when the head of the camp that Logan was staying at called. It is sad when my first thoughts were "What bone did he break? or What trouble did he get himself into?" I shouldn't think like that but we have had our share of the latter types of moments when teachers call me. Anyway...the man (Bruce) assured me that all was well and I didn't need to worry. He was calling to say that there was an opening for a Mission Trip to Ohio for next week and he thought Logan would be a great one to go on it. We are going to pass on it, but his buddy Jacob may go. We just aren't comfortable sending him off for a second week in a row with people we don't even know. Plus he already went to Scout camp for a week this Summer and also this camp, so that seems like enough. Logan even called at dinner time to plead his case, but I told him that I was pretty sure that he would not be going. He will be disappointed, I am sure. I know that the trip would have been life changing and we will consider it for next year. Bruce said that he was very impressed with Logan and Jacob's maturity (and Teddy's) and that everything is going well at camp. Logan seemed to be having a great time. He will return on Saturday.

Barry and I had our share of mission trips in our high school days. Things sure start earlier these days! I am not sure I am ready for all of this. He is only 12. The youth group that Barry and I grew up in didn't do trips until high school. I did start the trips in 8th grade, though, because there were no other 8th graders, so they let me in early. Gee....I remember this cute tall, skinny boy on these trips (Barry!). We really did some neat things to help others on those trips and we taught Bible School in underprivleged areas like the Appalachian Mountains.

No comments: