Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hannah Montana Day!

Well, Anna has not looked back on sucking fingers since we started the STOP THE BITE! KICK THE HABIT STUFF! So, today was Hannah Montana Day! It started with me giving her a Hannah shirt to wear for today. She loved it. You have to remember that for months and months and months, we would see Hannah stuff in the stores and the answer was always "No Hannah stuff until after you stop sucking your fingers". We played it up for months and months. After dinner we had our little party...just the 5 of us. The boys had planned carnival type games with Hannah prizes. Anna got out her guitar that Santa had brought and she and Logan were rockin' in the den to Hannah Montana music. Logan was hysterical! I had picked up some stuff on clearance. Two funny things were Barbie type dolls of Miley and Oliver from the show. They look nothing like them, but for less than $3, who cares. I think they had as much fun as she did. Anna had picked out a tiny cake at Walmart for the celebration and gave us each a bite.
Way to go Anna!
Of course I wish I had done this sooner. We let it continue to long...yes....but when we adopted Anna, she had very little with her. She had the clothes she was wearing, a bottle, her Chinese name that we kept as her middle name and her fingers. So, her fingers were a comfort in her little world and we let her have them. We tried putting vinegar on the fingers and she still sucked them. Barry put medical tape around the sucking fingers and she removed it nightly.

2 comments:

Livin' out loud said...

What a GREAT way to support such an effort!
Susan

Sheri said...

My GG sucked the two middle fingers of her left hand - she stopped cold turkey when she turned 5 - much to my astonishment!! I never tried any mechanical method of dissuading her (for the same reasons you listed - this was her self-soothing routine established at Guiping, and she NEEDED it), but for the six months or so prior to her birthday I periodically discussed - gently - that she needed to break this habit before her permanent teeth came in. She promised me she'd stop when she turned 5, and amazingly, I never once had to remind her after that magic day - nor have I ever peeked in at night and found her sucking them in her sleep, either. What amazing power of will these kids have!!!